These eggplants are the perfect addition to any dinner table, especially with the onset of winter! They are so tasty you can even have them on their own with a fresh green salad and some warm crusty bread - dinner done! They are super easy to make, and topped with baked feta cheese makes them just about irresistible. What are you waiting for?
For a complete video tutorial, click here
10 Medium Eggplants
½ Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
½ Cup Fresh Mint, chopped
2 Onions, thinly sliced
2 Cloves of Garlic, thinly sliced
3 Cups of Fresh Tomatoes, diced
¾ Cup of Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon of White Wine Vinegar
1 Teaspoon of Pepper
100g Feta, cubed.
Preparing the eggplants.
- Cut both ends of each eggplant and discard.
- Peel the skin of the eggplant in thick strips, leaving the eggplant striped with some skin still remaining.
- Slit the eggplant on all sections that have had the skin peeled.
- Salt the eggplant, ensuring the inside of each slit is also salted, and set aside for 20-25 minutes.
Preparing and stuffing the eggplants.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl, aside from the feta, and combine well.
- Rinse the eggplants thoroughly and squeeze them well to get rid of most of the water.
- Using the filling, stuff each slit of the eggplant.
- Place them in the baking tray, side by side
- Throw the rest of the filling on top and spread evenly over the dish.
- Place in the oven at 200*C for 20 minutes or until cooked and the eggplants have become soft and golden.
- Place a few pieces of feta on top of each eggplant and place in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Ready to serve!
TIP: You might be tempted, but don’t add water to the baking dish otherwise you will end up with a soup. A lot of water gets drawn out from the ingredients that are used already.
TIP: Did we forget to mention salt? There is no need to salt this dish because using feta gives it enough salt already.
Yia Yia Mary xx