Such a versatile "dip" to have up your sleeve! We say "dip" because Yia Yia Mary's fava recipe goes beyond just being a normal dip. It's a great addition to any lunch/dinner table but is an excellent accompaniment to any seafood dish, particularly BBQ octopus!
For a complete video tutorial click here.
½ Kilo of Yellow Split Peas
2 Spanish Onions, diced
½ Cup Olive Oil
Fresh Parsley, chopped
6 cups water
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash the split peas well. When the water runs clear, you'll know that you've cleaned them enough!
- Place the split peas in a pot and add the water. Make sure there is enough water to cover the split peas completely.
- Bring to the boil. Whilst coming to the boil, be sure to remove any foam that forms on the top of the water.
- Once boiling, continue to boil on a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce to a medium heat and add 1 diced onion and the olive oil and combine well.
- Continue to cook on a medium heat until the peas are cooked and have become soft. Ensure to stir occasionally.
- Once the peas are cooked, using a hand-held blender, blend the mixture until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and diced onion.
- Ready to serve!
TIP: Best served warm with crusty bread!
TIP: The mixture will thicken as it cools down. If preparing in advance, add some hot water and combine well to help thin the mixture back to it's original creamy state just before serving.
TIP: If you do not remove the foam that forms whilst the split peas are boiling, i a bitter taste will result.
Yia Yia Mary xx